Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Well known poem by Clare Harner Lyon

In this 1988 letter to the editor of the Escondido CA Times-Advocate, Margaret Ireland correctly identified Clare Harner Lyon as the author of the popular bereavement poem "Do not stand at my grave and weep." Among other changes in the version quoted by Ms. Ireland, "uplifting" replaces "up-flinging"; and the line "I am the soft stars that shine at night" replaces "I am the day transcending night" in the original 1934 text of Clare Harner's Immortality

Poem to ease the pain

This is an attempt to ease the pain, if only in a small way, of the families of those who lost their lives in the recent plane crash. Since the victims no longer can feel pain, the ones who grieve are the ones who are left behind and suffer a loss. This poem, by Clare Harner Lyon, is well known and has been quoted in various publications for more than 30 years and was recited as a eulogy at the burial of movie star John Wayne.

 "Do not stand at my grave and weep; 

I am not there., I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush

of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry;

I am not there, I did not die."

It is in nature's pattern that we live a certain number of years and if we make use of every moment to be the best of whatever we choose to be, then there should be no fear of the unknown of what follows when life is over.

Margaret Ireland
Escondido

Thu, Dec 29, 1988 – 19 · Times-Advocate (Escondido, California) · Newspapers.com
As shown below, in December 1977 the supposedly "anonymous poem" was read by John Wayne at the funeral of film director Howard Hawks

Fri, Dec 30, 1977 – Page 89 · Abilene Reporter-News (Abilene, Texas) · Newspapers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment